Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Age Issue.

Age Difference.

Why does that bother us, really? I saw a documentary last night (God I feel intellectual typing that...) about teenagers and, well, sex. There was a couple where she was 16 and he 18, that's a 2 year age difference. Barely nothing. But still it was frowned upon (the doc. was from a few years back), but if he would have been say, 25(?) and she 23 noone would say a thing, right?

What is too old/young for you? Shouldn't we be able to decide that? Yes, I know there's the whole issue of her being underage when they started dating, and the law and all that, but still. Why is this an issue?

Another example is a woman dating a younger man, this is strangely uncommon. And people look at this weirdly, but if the roles are reversed noone even flinches!

This is an old issue, that has probably excisted since the dawn of time. But how come, that we still, during the 21st century, are bothered by this?

Personally, I don't really care what other people do.
But I could, from experience, not see myself with a younger guy. But that's mostly because all younger guys I've encountered with has been, well extremely childish. There are probably exceptions, but I haven yet to meet them. Same goes for guys my own age, actually. Alot of them are immature and you can not seem to have a decent conversation with them, this is purely from bad experiences though.
So yeah, I do have a thing for older guys, but I have a 10 year line. I'm not even sure why I have that line, I guess a guy 10 years my senior would just feel...wrong or strange.

But why do we frown upon a 18 year old dating a 16 year old, but noone seems to notice the same age difference between the 24 and 26 year old couple next to them?

3 comments:

  1. Good morning!

    Why some concern about a 16 yo dating an 18 year old? I think mostly it would be due to an emotional difference between two people at such a young age. The 16 yo (especially female), I think would be an easy mark for an 18 yo male who has raging hormones... 25 / 23?? Emotionally, they are on a more level playing field.

    Age difference? I've always heard the youngest person one should date should be half of the older person's age plus seven years...

    That seems about right... ;o)

    ... and I SO agree with you about maturity levels!! There is MUCH to be said about being in a relationship with one's emotional and intellectual equal...

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, yes the emotinal difference is probably the biggest issue, now that you mention it!

    And yes, maturity levels matter, alot! It's impossible to be with someone that is way below your own emotional and intellectual level, glad to find a kindred spirit! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emotional development is everything... I have been in a couple of relationships when, after sex, there wasn't much of a common ground... but oh Man, when DURING sex... look out!!!! :oD

    I trust all is well with you!

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails